Connecting to a VPN in Windows 7
This guide will help you connect to your VPN on a Windows 7 system.
Setting up your VPN connection for the first time...
- Click the Start button in the bottom left of your screen and type: VPN
- Click on "Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection".
- In the "Internet Address" box enter either the Hostname or the IP Address of your VPN that you will have been provided by us.
- The "Destination Name" is optional, this is just a name you can choose for the connection. Then click "Next".
- Enter the Username and Password which will have been provided by us, tick the "Remember this password" box if you wish. The "Domain" box is optional and should be left blank unless we specify otherwise.
- Click "Connect" and wait a minute or so whilst it connects for the first time.
Hopefully you will now be connected to your VPN!
Now that your computer knows the correct settings connecting in future is evening easier! To use the VPN again click on the small networking icon in your system-tray, your system-tray is the set of small icons in the bottom right corner of your screen. The networking icon can change appearance depending on whether you are using a wired or wireless network at the time, if you are using a wired connection it looks like a small computer screen, if you are on wireless it looks like signal-bars. Left click the networking icon and you should see a list of "Dial-up and VPN" connections, click on your VPN, click "Connect" and "Connect" again. After a few seconds you will be connected securely to your virtual private network and all traffic from your computer will be encrypted and sent through your UK server.